Painting, Sculpting and Modelling for Games.


Monday 17 January 2011

Mordheiming: University and Fountain


With the town hall building being painted, I have started some work on the fountain which will be at the centre of that module and on the next main building which will be the University. The University will have a bit of an unusual architecture and I’m going to try to make a decent sketch of it in an attempt to avoid the problems I had with the town hall. Indeed, I made it more difficult for myself by not planning enough, especially when it comes to painting and it gets so awkward. I really need to sketch this one as it will be in two parts: a church like structure with an observatory tower attached to it.

Anyway, so far I only finished the front door as you can see on the picture. Lots of Sculpey, green stuff, Tamiya putty did the trick. The door is quite large, so I’ve put Seamus the Mad Hatter next to it to give a better idea of the size. I’m going to make a mould of this one and cast it in plaster as I want the building to have an open door. It will probably be easier to tweak it around if it’s in plaster.


Next, I also did some work on the fountain. I already had made a fountain but it was lacking the grandeur I was looking for. I accidentally stumbled on a “Lord of the Rings” chess set in a charity shop last Thursday and found the miniature I wanted to use for the fountain. Mad Hatter again is on the picture to give an idea of the scale. The lady is 8cm tall and will look great on a pedestal I hope. I made a latex mould this time. Really cheap and they do work well with plain designs.

I’m hoping to sculpt the base for it this week but I’m running out of Sculpey. I might pop in the craft shop and try Fimo for a change….



Avec la Mairie en instance d’être presque finie, j’ai commencé à travailler sur la fontaine qui sera au centre de ce module et sur le prochain bâtiment principal qui sera l’université. L’université aura une architecture un peu « spéciale », alors il va falloir que je me prépare un peu plus à l’avance que par rapport à la mairie afin d’éviter les quelques soucis que j’ai eu quand est arrivé le moment de peindre le tout. Il va vraiment falloir que je fasse un bon croquis. L’architecture « spéciale » que j mentionnais essaiera de mêler une structure d’église à une espèce de tour d’observatoire.

Bref, pour l’instant je n’ai fais que la porte d’entrée. J’ai principalement utilisé du Sculpey, pate verte et du Tamiya putty. La porte est assez large donc j’ai Seamus dans la photo pour donner une idée des proportions. Je vais faire une moule de celle-là et la tirer en plâtre car je veux la mettre en mode ouverte et ca sera plus facile de bricoler du plâtre. Enfin j’espère…

Ensuite, j’ai aussi bossé sur la fontaine. J’avais déjà fais une fontaine mais elle n’apportait pas l’effet de grandeur que je veux donner a la place. Je suis tombé sur un jeu d’échecs du Seigneur des Anneaux dans un magasin de charité jeudi dernier et je crois que j’ai trouvé la figurine que je vais utiliser. Seamus encore dans la photo, la demoiselle mesure 8cm et sera superbe sur un piédestal, je pense. J’ai fais un moule en latex cette fois ci. Pas cher et bien efficace sur les pièces « pleines ».

J’espère sculpter la base cette semaine mais je commence à être à court de Sculpey. J’ irais peut être acheter du Fimo au magasin du coin….

1 comment:

  1. I also stumbled upon some old resin pieces on Ebay from the British Museum for my Egyptian Statues. Why pay loads when you can paint over some cheap models that someone is selling off at a low price?

    ReplyDelete